The West Coast Sports Medicine Foundation is a non-profit, 501(C) 3 charitable organization (Tax ID #95 4497009) dedicated to providing economically deprived high school students with an opportunity to participate in interscholastic sports, promote fitness, have access to quality sports medicine care and services designed to improve health and ensure safety.
Since 1994, WCSMF-Team To Win has focused on achieving health equity and eliminating disparities prevalent in the Los Angeles area. Understanding the need to invest in communities of color, WCSMF-Team To Win’s multifaceted foundation continues to provide sports medicine care while also educating and uplifting the youth we serve.
Our organization currently serves 13,000 high school student athletes located throughout Los Angeles County where 61% of high school students qualify for reduced lunch, indicating a high percentage of student-poverty levels by the California Dept. of Education. In 2019, less than half of LAUSD’s graduating class were eligible for the state’s public universities, signifying a need to invest in our BIPOC communities, especially as about 4 out of 5 LAUSD students are minorities from low-income families – many are first-generation college goers.
Our Outreach Programs & How We Help:
WCSMF-Team To Win hopes to continue to confront the racial, socio economic, and health disparities that affect our youth by providing a space where health equity is achieved. We believe that every person has the opportunity to “attain his or her full health potential” and no one is “disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of social position or other socially determined circumstances”. This is achieved through our outreach programs. Team to Win organizes sports medicine clinics where uninsured and underinsured student athletes may receive free or discounted health care and wellness services.
- Team to Win high school Outreach program
- Sports medicine injury clinic
- Concussion / Brain injury clinic
- Onsite certified athletic trainers
- Sports medicine coverage for major sporting events
- Fellowship Physician Program (Orthopedic and Sports Medicine)
- Mentoring education sports medicine program for high school students
- Peer reviewed research and education publications
- College scholarship program
- Injury Tracking and Surveillance Study
- Sports Medicine internship program